Love 'em or hate 'em, Brussels sprouts are a Christmas dinner staple - and a very healthy one at that! If you haven't been a fan of sprouts before, we recommend you try this tasty (and immune-friendly!) upgrade and see if it changes your mind.
Recipe for Garlic & Chilli Brussels Sprouts
- 600g Brussels sprouts, trimmed at the base
- 60ml avocado or olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 4-5 mins until just tender, then drain and leave to cool a little before slicing in half vertically.
- While the Brussels sprouts are cooking, heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add the crushed garlic and cook until just golden (around 4 mins).
- Add the chilli flakes and a pinch of salt to the oil, then place the sprouts cut-side down in the pan; leave them to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and the lemon juice, then cook for a few mins more
- Place on a plate, coat with lemon zest, season with salt as needed
Did you know?
- Brussels sprouts are all rounders; high in vitamin C, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as a range of other vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin K and fibre.
- Brides in Ancient Greece didn’t carry bouquets of flowers - they carried bouquets of garlic and herbs!