Plant based diets tend to be lower in fats and a great way to source plant-based fats is from seeds. Flaxseeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds are classed as superfoods. Calling something a superfood alone sounds like it’d be good for you right? These seeds are called a superfood due to it provide health benefits from its exceptionally high nutrient density.
- Flaxseeds are high in omega-3 essential fatty acids where 1 tablespoon of flaxseed contains around 1.8g of omega-3s. Animal studies have shown that the omega-3 found in flaxseed which is called ALA, inhibited the growth of tumours. They also contain lignans which have oestrogen and antioxidant properties. Flaxseeds are 75 to 800 times more concentrated in lignans compared to any other plant food. Flaxseeds are also a great source of soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Did you know that the Chia seeds plant is related to mint? These tiny seeds pack a nutritional punch as 28g contains 11g of fibre, 4g of protein, 5g omega-3 fat, 18% of the RDI of calcium, 30% of the RDI of magnesium, 30% of the RDI of manganese and 27% of the RDI of phosphorus. Chia seeds also contain zinc, vitamin B3, potassium, vitamin B1 and vitamin B2. Chia seeds are packed with anti-oxidants that prevent the formation of free radicals. You do not want free radicals roaming around your body as they can damage cell molecules and contribute diseases like cancer.
- Hemp seeds are also exceptionally nutritious as they have a high content of healthy fats, proteins and various minerals. A hemp seed is 30% fat where the two main fats are omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids. Hemp seeds are also high in protein with 25% of the total calories from protein. Gamma-linolenic acid is also present in hemp seeds and have been linked to reduced inflammation which can decrease your risk of heart disease.
- 1 tsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup plant-based milk of choice
- ½ mango
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 tbs agave or maple syrup (depending on preference of sweetness)
If you want to top it all off with nutrients that will give your immune system an extra boost, try adding a sachet of High Dose Tonic to the above recipe. Each sachet of Tonic has 1500mg of vitamin C, 1200IU vitamin D, 25mg zinc and over 1000mg of plant micronutrients.