Hot toddies are the perfect drink to have before bed-time in the winter when it's cold or wet outside and you want something warm and soothing to help you get to sleep. Hot toddies have also traditionally been used to relieve cold and flu symptoms, though we can't comment on how effective they actually are. Normally at the sign of a cold we'd recommend our own high-dose immunity drinks, but we've also given the classic hot toddy an immune-friendly upgrade as part of Tonic's 7 Days of Christmas Immunity Recipes!
Recipe for a Hot Tonic Toddy
- 2 tbsp honey
- 90ml whisky
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- ½ inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 sachet of Tonic Lemon & Honey
- 500ml boiling water
- 1 lemon: ½ sliced, ½ squeezed
- 2x breakfast tea bags
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a jug
- Add in the boiling water, followed by the lemon juice
- Place a tea-bag in each mug or heat proof glass, and add the boiling water mixture
- Place lemon slices and a cinnamon stick in each glass, leave for 5 minutes
- Remove the tea bags and sprinkle each glass with a pinch of nutmeg before serving
Did you know?
- Perfectly-preserved honey was found in Egyptian tombs that were thousands of years old. When sealed in an airtight container, honey has a never-ending shelf life, which means this ancient honey was still edible!
- Ginger is known for its medicinal benefits and health benefits; it contains gingerol, which has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties