The Scientific Research
Tonic Health uses the latest science and literature to create optimal solutions for immune health and support in order to help alleviate the misery of cold and flu. With leading immunologist Dr. Jenna Macciochi on the team we aim to stay at the forefront of the latest clinical research and science in order to ensure our products deliver max strength immune support and maximum effectiveness for when you need it most.
Science is constantly evolving all the time and to this day there is still more to understand and learn about the complexities of our immune system. Here is the list of science, journals and articles that we have used to inform our product development and content.
- Levy R., Schlaeffer F. Successful treatment of a patient with recurrent furunculosis by vitamin C: Improvement of clinical course and of impaired neutrophil functions. Int. J. Dermatol. 1993;32:832–834.
- University of Helsinki. "Larger doses of vitamin C may lead to a greater reduction in common cold duration." ScienceDaily. 30 March 2017.
- Sharma P., Raghavan S.A., Saini R., Dikshit M. Ascorbate-mediated enhancement of reactive oxygen species generation from polymorphonuclear leukocytes: Modulatory effect of nitric oxide. J. Leukoc. Biol.
- Mohammed B.M., Fisher B.J., Kraskauskas D., Farkas D., Brophy D.F., Fowler A.A., Natarajan R. Vitamin C: A novel regulator of neutrophil extracellular trap formation. Nutrients. 2013;5:3131–3151
- Kennes B., Dumont I., Brohee D., Hubert C., Neve P. Effect of vitamin C supplements on cell-mediated immunity in old people. Gerontology. 1983;29:305–310
- Hodges R.E., Hood J., Canham J.E., Sauberlich H.E., Baker E.M. Clinical manifestations of ascorbic acid deficiency in man. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1971;24:432–443
- Hemila H. Vitamin C and Infections. Nutrients. 2017;9:339
- Laaksi I, et al. An association of serum vitamin D concentrations < 40 nmol/L with acute respiratory tract infection in young Finnish men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86(3):714–7
- Bikle D. Nonclassic actions of vitamin D. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94(1):26–34.
- Baeke F, Takiishi T, Korf H, Gysemans C, Mathieu C. Vitamin D: modulator of the immune system. Curr Opin Pharmacol. (2010) 10:482–96.
- Chottker B, Jorde R, Peasey A, Thorand B, Jansen EH, Groot L, et al. Vitamin D and mortality: meta-analysis of individual participant data from a large consortium of cohort studies from Europe and the United States. BMJ. (2014) 348:g3656.
- Louise Saul, Iris Mair, Alasdair Ivens, Pamela Brown, Kay Samuel, John D. M. Campbell, Daniel Y. Soong, Nadine Kamenjarin, Richard J. Mellanby. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 Restrains CD4 T Cell Priming Ability of CD11c Dendritic Cells by Upregulating Expression of CD31. Frontiers in Immunology, 2019; 10
- Gammoh N.Z., Rink L. Zinc in infection and inflammation. Nutrients. 2017;9
- Jarosz M, Olbert M, Wyszogrodzka G, Młyniec K, Librowski T. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of zinc. Zinc-dependent NF-κB signaling. Inflammopharmacology. 2017 Feb;25(1):11-2
- Yu M., Lee W.W., Tomar D., Pryshchep S., Czesnikiewicz-Guzik M., Lamar D.L., Li G., Singh K., Tian L., Weyand C.M., et al. Regulation of T cell receptor signaling by activation-induced zinc influx. J. Exp. Med. 2011;208:775–785.
- Sunderman F.W., Jr. The influence of zinc on apoptosis. Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 1995;25:134–142.
- Maggini S, Beveridge S, Suter M. A combination of high-dose vitamin C plus zinc for the common cold. J Int Med Res. 2012;40(1):28-42
Sidor A., Gramza-Michałowska A. Advanced research on the antioxidant and health benefit of elderberry (Sambucus nigra) in food—A review. J. Funct. Foods. 2014;18B:941–958
Barak V, Halperin T, Kalickman I.The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2001 Apr-Jun;12(2):290-6
Vlachojannis JE, Cameron M, Chrubasik S. A systematic review on the sambuci fructus effect and efficacy profiles. Phytother Res. 2010 Jan;24(1):1-8
Elderberry Supplementation Reduces Cold Duration and Symptoms in Air-Travellers: A Randomized, Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Tiralongo E, Wee SS, Lea RA. Nutrients. 2016 Mar 24;8(4):182.
Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections. Zakay-Rones Z, Thom E, Wollan T, Wadstein J. J Int Med Res. 2004 Mar-Apr;32(2):132-40.