RECIPE: HEALTHY BARLEY SALAD
by Dara Winters on March 30, 2021
This fibre-filled barley salad will have your gut feeling great. The soluble fibre found in barley has also shown to lower glucose and cholesterol levels in the blood. And not only does this barley salad have an amazing range of nutritional benefits but it tastes great and is super filling too.
- ½ Butternut squash, diced into large cubes
- 150g Tenderstem broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 20g basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas. Place the butternut squash on a baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, boil the barley for about 25 mins in salted water until tender, but al dente.
- While this is happening, whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Drain the barley, then tip it into a bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix well and let it cool.
- Boil the broccoli in salted water until just tender, then drain and rinse in cold water. Drain the broccoli
- Add the broccoli and remaining ingredients to the barley and mix well.