Delicious inside a turkey or by itself, this nut stuffing is a great way to get some healthy fats, protein, and fibre.
Recipe for Nut Stuffing
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 350g unsweetened chestnut puree
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- 50g cashews, chopped
- 50g sultanas, soaked in concentrated vegetable stock for 3+ hours
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tonic's Cranberry-Elderberry sauce to garnish, if you like!
- Saute the onion in avocado or olive oil in a large pan. Add the chestnut puree and stir over medium heat.
- Drain the sultanas and add them to the mixture with pine nuts, cashews, drained sultanas, and thyme.
- Stir in the bread crumbs until the mixture is reasonably solid
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Add in the egg and mix well.
- Use as stuffing or form into small balls and bake at 190C/170C fan/ gas 5 for 30-40mins to create stuffing balls.
Did you know?
- "Stuff" was originally a military term - Now it basically means anything, as in, "Whose stuff is this?" But originally, "to stuff" meant to fortify a military force with needed supplies. So when you say "I made enough stuffing to feed an army," you're being more literal than you think!